I could write a whole book about the hook - but although its multifaceted at its core its simple.
Here are five key parts of a hook:
(1) Positioning - I know how this relates to the alternatives and I believe it is distinct when I compare it to the others.
(2) Dimension - There are layers to the offer or service and multiple reasons why I would engage with you - all combined up support the arc of the hook and create it.
(3) Competence - I believe that you have the resources, experience and knowledge to make the whole thing come true
(4) Controversy - There is some tension created from the mystery of if any of this is true at all.
(5) Remarkably - The whole idea has a core to it that is easy to talk about in a sentence or too. It is both easy to talk about and interesting to talk about.
Does your idea have these five elements?